The Diocese of Richmond added six priests to its list of clergy with credible and substantiated claims of child sexual abuse, Thursday, June 27.
In a statement released simultaneously with the six names, Bishop Barry C. Knestout said, “As we continue to engage with survivors of abuse and learn more about the history of our diocese, we continue our commitment to transparency. It is my sincere hope that the additions of these individuals will help provide healing for anyone who suffered at their hands.”
These are the priests, their affiliation and status:
• Stanley F. Banaszek, Maryknoll, deceased
• Anthony M. Canu, Third Order Regular Franciscan, deceased
• Patrick J. Cassidy, diocesan, deceased
• Leonardo G. Mateo, extern, Archdiocese of Tagbilaran (Philippines), deceased
• Thomas D. Sykes, Franciscan Friar of Atonement, deceased
• Vincent The Quang Nguyen, extern, Archdiocese of Saigon, Vietnam, unknown
As extern priests, Mateo and Nguyen were priests of their respective archdioceses while they were in the Diocese of Richmond.
The Diocese of Richmond urges individuals who have been sexually abused by a priest, deacon, religious, lay employee or volunteer of the diocese to report abuse directly to law enforcement, including Child Protective Services (CPS) at 800-552-7096, and by calling the Attorney General’s Clergy Abuse Hotline at 833-454-9064.
Individuals are also encouraged to contact the 24-hour confidential Victim Assistance Reporting number at 877-887-9603 or email email@example.com to report sexual abuse.