spacearoundarticlescolumnseditorialHispanic Apostolatelettersopportunitiesparish profileshortakes
July 25, 2011 | Volume 86, Number 20

ABOUT US

ARCHIVES

CONTACT US

HOME

THE CATHOLIC  DIOCESE OF  RICHMOND

– Necrology

graphic: click to link to take Catholic Virginian reader survey

AROUND

Clergy appointments

Bishop Francis X. DiLorenzo has announced the following clergy appointments, effective as noted:

  • Rev. Rudolf Grega, of the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, to be parochial vicar of St. Joseph Parish in Richmond, effective Aug. 1.

  • Rev. Gerald Musuubire, who was previously administrator, has been named pastor of Ss. Peter and Paul Parish, Palmyra, and St. Joseph’s Shrine of St. Katharine Drexel, Columbia, effective immediately

purple line

photo: cast of students from St. Benedict School in RichmondSalt & Light Theater Company

A cast of 55 students from St. Benedict School in Richmond through its Salt & Light Theater Company recently presented “Orpheus & Eurydice and Other Such Tales.” The production on the school’s newly restored stage included students in grades 1-8. The original script by Latin and Logic teacher Louis Massett and drama teacher Stephanie Pyle related the tale of Orpheus’ journey through the underworld and his tragic — and brief — reunion with his wife Eurydice. The scene here shows a teacher and her pupils. “This was a whole-school production that made for a great evening of entertainment and provided a lesson in how Classical concepts of virtue prefigure the teachings of the Church,” said Sean Cruess, St. Benedict School principal. At the request of the parents the names of the students in the photo have been withheld.

purple line

photo: Sister Dina BatoVa. Beach woman makes first vows

Sister Dina Bato, a native of Virginia Beach, professed first vows as a member of the Sisters of Providence during Eucharistic Liturgy June 26 in the Church of the Immaculate Conception at the Congregation’s motherhouse at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Ind.

 Sister Dina joined the Sisters of Providence Sept. 22, 2008, from Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish in Newport News after graduating from Salem High School in Virginia Beach and earning a bachelor’s degree in accounting from Virginia Tech.

 Her mother and father are natives of the Philippines. As a mission novice, she participated in Congregation activities and in the Congregation’s local government units, and lived in a local community of sisters.

She also ministered as a business office assistant at Providence Cristo Rey High School in Indianapolis and is presently studying for her master’s degree in theological studies at St. Meinrad.

The Sisters of Providence work to further God’s loving plans by devoting themselves to works of love, mercy and justice in service among God’s people. They currently minister in 19 states, Washington, D.C., Taiwan and China.

purple line

Organ at St. Mary’s, Richmond, to be dedicated Aug. 21

St. Mary Parish in Richmond will celebrate the dedication of the pipe organ recently installed in its weekday Mass Chapel on Sunday, Aug. 21, between 2 and 4 p.m.

The dedication ceremony will include a concert by Patrick Carlin, minister of music at the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, and Lisa Edwards Burrs, soprano.

The organ was originally located in the former worship space (now the Commons), and has been refurbished and rebuilt for use in the chapel.

“This project was undertaken when the new worship space was built, and is finally drawing to completion,” said Father Michael Renninger, pastor.

Because there is limited space in the Chapel, those who wish to attend this celebration are asked to call the parish office to reserve their seats for the concert. Contact Pat Warfield, 804-740-4044, no later than July 27, for the reservation.

purple line

Priests named to aid Vicar for Clergy

Bishop Francis X. DiLorenzo has appointed two priests, both of whom are serving as pastor of more than one parish, to assist Msgr. Mark Richard Lane, Vicar for Clergy, in working with international priests.

Father John Kazibwe, pastor of Good Shepherd, South Hill; St. Catherine of Siena, Clarksville, and St. Paschal Baylon, South Boston, has been appointed Assistant to the Vicar for Clergy for African priests.

Father Romeo Jazmin, pastor of both Church of St. Therese and Prince of Peace, both in Chesapeake, has been appointed Assistant to the Vicar for Clergy for Filipino priests.

Both priests will continue in their current parish assignments.

purple line

photo: A view of the Corpus Christi reception in the courtyard between St. Francis of Assisi Church in Staunton, at right, and Assisi Hall, left.Staunton view

A view of the Corpus Christi reception in the courtyard between St. Francis of Assisi Church in Staunton, at right, and Assisi Hall, left, also shows the large complex of Stuart Hall School, a private school on a hilltop a few blocks from the church. The June 26 celebration followed a CorpusChristi procession through city streets near the church led by Father Burt Sare, then pastor, who was feted at a farewell celebration in Assisi Hall. St. Francis of Assisi Church, built in 1895, is one of the oldest churches of the Diocese of Richmond. Father Burt has been reassigned to the four communities of Holy Family Parish in southwestern Virginia which includes St. Theresa’s, Tazewell; St. Joseph’s, Grundy; St. Elizabeth, Pocahontas, and St. Mary’s, Richlands. (PHOTO BY GREG RIDENOUR)

purple line

photo: from left are Dennis and Sue Hennegan, Gerry and Maureen Hennegan, and Tucker and Dorothy Hennegan.Golden wedding anniversary

The 50th anniversary of three couples, three of whom are siblings, was celebrated at a special Mass at St. Jude Church in Mineral on July 2 with Father Michael Duffy, pastor, presiding. The three couples included two brothers and their sister, all of whom were married in 1961. At far left are Dennis and Sue Hennegan, married July 1, in Miami; Gerry and Maureen Hennegan Welch from New Milford, CT, who were married on Nov. 25, 1961 in Niagara Falls, NY, and Tucker and Dorothy Hennegan from Niagara Falls, who were married May 27, 1961 in Niagara Falls.

purple line

photo: Sister V. Mary PfeiferDaughters of Wisdom community

Sister V. Mary Pfeifer, a member of the Daughters of Wisdom community who spent many years in Portsmouth at what is now Bon Secours-Maryview Medical Center, died July 2 in Islip, N.Y. She was 91. Born in Brooklyn, Sister Mary entered the Daughters of Wisdom in 1937. She made her first profession in 1939 and final vows in 1944. Sister Mary was nursing supervisor/teacher at Maryview Hospital in Portsmouth from 1951 to 1970. She later was an instructor at Old Dominion University and then assistant professor at Tidewater Community College in Portsmouth from 1972 to 1988. The Daughters of Wisdom are an international congregation of Catholic Women Religious committed to seeking wisdom and promoting justice. There are more than 1,800 Sisters in 22 countries.

back to top


About Us | Archives | Articles | Columns | Contact Us | Editorial | Hispanic Apostolate | Home | Letters | Opportunities | Parish Profile | Shortakes | The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
Copyright © 2011 The Catholic Virginian Press. Articles from Catholic News Services, including Fr. Doyle’s column, may not be reproduced due to copyright considerations.
The Catholic Virginian is a biweekly publication serving the people of the Catholic Diocese of Richmond. This website includes some, but not all, of the articles from the print version of The Catholic Virginian.
For subscription information Contact Us.