***UPDATED FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS BELOW
Reverend James F. Kauffmann, a priest of the Catholic Diocese of Richmond, died on Monday, June 19, 2017, at the age of 67.
Father Kauffmann was born to Richard and Mary Kauffmann on March 8, 1950, in Richmond, Virginia. He was educated at Star of the Sea Elementary School in Virginia Beach and Norfolk Catholic High School in Norfolk, Virginia. He graduated from the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia, in 1971 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics. Father Kauffmann attended seminary at the North American College in Rome, Italy, and graduated in 1977. Father Kauffmann was ordained to the priesthood by Bishop Walter F. Sullivan on July 18, 1976, at Star of the Sea Catholic Church, Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Father Kauffman did his post-graduate studies at the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome, Italy. He graduated in 1990 with a Licentiate in Sacred Scripture. He attended the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., and graduated in 1996 with a degree in Early Christian Studies.
A faithful priest of the Diocese of Richmond for 40 years, Father Kauffmann served in the following parishes: Saint Augustine, Richmond (1977-1980); Saint John the Evangelist, Waynesboro (1980-1987); Saint Mary of the Annunciation, Ladysmith (1990-1999); Saint Benedict, Richmond (1999-2014); Sacred Heart, Norfolk (2014-1015) and Saint Bede, Williamsburg (2016-2017).
Father Kauffmann has served the Richmond Tribunal as Defender of the Bond since September of 1979. He also served as Chaplain to the State Penitentiary from 1978 to 1980.
Father Kauffmann is survived by his brothers Richard Kauffmann of Atlanta, Georgia, and Vincent Kauffmann of Roswell, Georgia. Please remember Father Kauffmann and his family in your prayers.
There will be a Mass offered at St. Bede’s on Thursday evening preceded by visitation. The Funeral Mass for Fr. Kauffmann will take place the following morning at St. Benedict’s followed by the Rite of Burial. The following arrangements will assist you to plan your schedule.
- Arrangements for the Mass at St. Bede in Williamsburg, on Thursday, June 22 are as follows:
- Visitation will be from 3:00p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Mass will be at 6:00 p.m.
- Mass will be followed by dinner in the Kaplan Hall (all are welcome).
- Arrangements for the Funeral Mass at St. Benedict in Richmond on Friday, June 23 are as follows:
- Visitation will be from 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
- Funeral Mass will be at 11:00 a.m.
- Burial will follow the Funeral Mass at Mount Calvary.
- There will be a reception following the Burial at St. Benedict’s Gymnasium